Sunday, January 9, 2011

Helsinki, Finland

I am in Helsinki, Finland going to school for the semester at the University of Helsinki. I arrived on January 5th and will be staying until Mid June (I haven't bought my return ticket yet).

I am mostly unpacked in my apartment. I still haven't gotten my checked bag from the airlines. They now get to give me money everyday i don't have it, I am not sure how much yet, i have to call them on Monday and figure that out. Two days ago I set up a bank account, bought a cell phone, met a guy (he was working at the money exchange booth) that is from WA and married a Finnish girl, tomorrow is his 11 year anniversary. He said he will sell me his X-Country skis/boots/fittings for 20-30 euros.

The guy that lived in my room last semester left a plug in converter for me which is very nice. Though it only has one so i will have to switch up which electronics get plugged in at a time. The apartment is two stories, three baths, 5 bedrooms, a dining room/kitchen, living room, and a large balcony. The building has 4 saunas that have specific times men and woman can use it separately.

I don't have much with me, other than clothes, since everything that makes life a little easier is in my checked bag. So i may end up just washing the sheets the old room mate left here and use those. I ended up buying a new pair of socks and a razor and shaving cream so i could look decent. I may buy a head covering with fur because it seems like everyone has one and they look extremely warm and wind proof.

The country is completely covered in snow and the city crews are working 24/7 shoveling, laying gravel, salting, chipping ice from buildings, and removing snow from roofs. They close off the sidewalks where they are working above and just push the snow on to the street. After they finish the roof the heavy equipment comes to the street and they truck away all the snow.

People have been very helpful so far and almost everyone knows English. Though i have found that bus drivers know the very least. Which is a pain in the ass since they would be the most helpful in knowing English. I feel bad not knowing their language and am looking forward to attempting to learn it. I can say thank you (kiitos) and Hi (hay).

I have heard only one emergency vehicle siren, and have seen less than 5 police vehicles. I have learned that they have a very low showing of cops since the crime rate isn't very high.


Pinus sylvestris (scotts pine) is everywhere along with Betula (birch) and Picea (spruce)



The walk to my bus stop to head down town



My apartment building

I have forgotten to take my camera with me almost everywhere so these are the only pictures i have so far. I am sure i will take many more through out my months abroad.

No comments: